Your teeth are incredibly strong and are designed to stand up to quite a bit…
5 Tips To Prevent Baby Tooth DecayAugust 20, 2015
More than 1 in 4 children in the Canada have dental cavities by the time they reach the age of 4, sometimes as early as age 2. One of the most common problems for children that young is baby bottle tooth decay. Children’s teeth are susceptible to decay as soon as they begin to erupt. Baby bottle tooth decay is more common on upper teeth, but can effect lower teeth as well. This condition is caused by the teeth being exposed to sugary liquids such as; formula and fruit juices for long periods of time. Just like in adults, infants and toddlers have bacteria in their mouths. The bacteria feeds on the sugars and as a result produces acids which breaks down the hard surface of the teeth, the enamel, which leads to decay.
Tips to prevent baby bottle tooth decay
- Avoid putting your child to bed with a bottle – Milk, formula and juice all have sugar in them and if it stays on their teeth too long, it can lead to tooth decay. If you do put your child down with a bottle, fill it will cold water.
- Ensure pacifier is clean – A good practice is to sterilize your pacifier or run it through the dishwasher. Avoid dipping your child’s pacifier in honey or any other sweet liquids.
- Clean their teeth and gums – When your child has finished drinking a bottle that contains formula, milk or juice; take a piece of gauze or wet cloth and gently clean teeth their teeth and gums.
- Fluoride – Acts as a coat and protects teeth from decay. It can even help to heal early decay by demineralising it. Fluoride is in the drinking water of many townships and cities across Ontario.
- Visit the dentist early – The Canadian Dental Association recommends visiting the dentist six month after the eruption of the first tooth. There’s no time like the present. Call Dawson Dental Centres today. Our dentists will answer all of your questions and help guide your child to optimal oral health.
Throughout the month of August, kids dental exams are FREE at Dawson Dental Centre*. Discover how Dawson Dental Centre makes visiting the dentist fun for the whole family!
Our dentists are knowledgeable and caring, with 19 locations across Ontario in Toronto, Cambridge, Kingston and more. We offer General & Cosmetic Dentistry services such as dental implants, Invisalign invisible braces and dental veneers. New patients are always warmly welcome!