For many people, yellow teeth are problematic and cause unwanted attention. As we age, our…
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?February 1, 2016
Teeth whitening is a great way to immediately increase your confidence in your appearance – after all, there is nothing better than a white and bright smile. Teeth whitening will also give you a much needed confidence boost. It is particularly great before special events that may be coming up in your life, like a wedding or important interview, but it is always a good time to get a whiter smile.
While teeth whitening strips or gels that you purchased at your local pharmacy will remove surface stains, giving the appearance of whiter teeth, but you will not get deep, professional level results unless you go to a dentist. Additionally, you have a higher chance of harming your gums if you use over-the-counter solutions.
If you’re considering going to your dentist to have your teeth whitened, here is all the important information you need to know:
You Have Two Options To Professionally Whiten Your Teeth:
- One Hour Teeth Whitening Session. Our team of professionals at Dawson Dental use Zoom! In Office Whitening, which is both safe and effective. This is a powerful way to whiten teeth and because it’s done in three stages, patients who have sensitive teeth have the option to only do one or two sessions. Additionally, Dawson Dental can desensitize your mouth before and after the treatment. After this treatment, your teeth may be up to eight shades whiter.
The treatment works through the presence of hydrogen peroxide in the gel, which, in combination with the use of light, effectively bleaches your teeth for quick and dramatic results. Some experience sensitivity while others do not experience any.
- Teeth Whitening at Home. This option first involves having a custom tray fitted to your mouth, which you will then place on top of your teeth for a period of time suggested by your dentist.
The whitening gel’s active ingredient is carbamide peroxide and is also safe and effective. It will work by dissolving and lightening any visible stains on your teeth. Results can be expected in as little as one week.
Teeth Whitening Tips:
- It is recommended that you whiten your teeth after they have been professionally cleaned. This will ensure that you do not end up with patchy spots on your teeth due to plaque blocking the whitening agent.
- The first few days after you have had your teeth whitened put you at risk for staining if you do not consume the right coloured foods. Ensure that you wait at least 48 hours before you eat anything that is dark in color (this includes dark sauces). This will give time for the open pores in your teeth to close. If you’re like us and simply can’t do without your tea or coffee for two days, drinking through a straw can help prevent staining!
- To maintain your results over time, most dentists recommend rinsing your teeth and mouth with water after you consume food and beverages that are dark in colour, like tea and coffee.
If you are interested in teeth whitening, contact Dawson Dental today for a smile that is eight shades brighter!