Ins And Outs Of Sedation Dentistry
Are you a Scaredy Cat when it comes to seeing the dentist? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Dawson Dental Centre has sedation options available to help calm your nerves. Through the use of different types of medication our dentists are able to help patients relax for the entire dental appointment.
Who Can Have Sedation at the Dentist Office?
Sedation dentistry is most appropriate for individuals with a level of fear or anxiety that is preventing them from going to the dentist. However, there are many other reasons that patients may seek treatment under sedation, such as:
- can’t sit still in the dentist’s chair
- have a low pain threshold
- have very sensitive teeth
- have a severe gag reflex
- need a large amount of dental work completed
Occasionally, parents will decide to have their children sedated during dental treatment because they are terrified of going to the dentist or refuse to cooperate during the visit. Nitrous oxide (also known as “laughing gas”) is often a safe option for children, and most dentists can administer it. However, there are deeper sedation options available for children who require something stronger. For individuals who tend to avoid the dentist, sedation dentistry may take away some of their anxiety. Sedation can be used for everything from simple hygiene treatment to cosmetic dental procedures. How it is used will depend on your treatment plan and preferences.
How Safe Is Sedation Dentistry?
There is always a risk involved with anesthesia. It is usually safe, however, when given by experienced dentists.
It is important to make sure that your dentist is trained and qualified to administer the type of sedation you will be receiving. As a smart patient, you can make sure the following things are done:
- Your dentist reviews your medical history before the procedure.
- Your dentist will determine whether you are an appropriate sedation candidate by asking about medications you are currently taking, and any allergies you may have.
- You should ask what dose of the sedative is appropriate for your age and health.
- You should receive a form detailing the risks of the procedure and review it carefully with your dentist. Be sure to ask any questions you might have.
- The dentist should monitor your vital signs during the procedure following the Canadian Dental Association’s guidelines.
- The dentist should also have oxygen — artificial ventilation — and drugs that reverse the effects of sedation on hand in case you need them.
Can Any Dentist Perform Sedation?
Most dentists can administer minimal sedation (such as nitrous oxide, or “laughing gas”). However, additional training is needed in order for a dentist to provide deeper levels of sedation.
While an increasing number of dentists can give moderate sedation, only a small percentage of dentists are able to provide deep sedation and general anesthesia. These providers are typically classified as oral and maxillofacial surgeons and dental anaesthesiologists. Some dentists will use a dental anesthesiologist, who is specially trained to give all levels of sedation and anesthesia to both children and adults.
In the province of Ontario, dentists are required to hold a sedation permit for the highest level of sedation they can provide. By obtaining this permit, they have proven their abilities through continuing education, and also demonstrated the presence of required safety equipment within their practice.
How Much Does It Cost?
The fee will vary depending on the type of dental sedation that you receive, and the length of your appointment. Typically, the milder forms of sedation are less expensive than the deeper forms. At Dawson Dental Centre the fee for the mildest form of sedation during a one hour appointment starts at $128. Call us today to schedule a FREE consultation in order to determine which form of dental sedation would work best for you.
Dawson Dental Centre team members are knowledgeable, caring and with 18 locations across Ontario including in Toronto, Aurora, Cambridge and more there’s a dentist that provides sedation near you. We offer General & Cosmetic Dentistry services such as dental implants, Invisalign invisible braces and dental veneers. New patients are always warmly welcome!