We sat down with Guelph Dentist to ask him a few questions about how he translates…
Growing Up with a Dentist as a ParentNovember 5, 2014
I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is Eden and I am Dr. Jo-Anne Meyer’s daughter.
Did you know that today is “Take your kid to work day”? For my assignment, I decided to spend the day with my mom and her team at Dawson Dental Centre in Newmarket. Throughout the day, I was tasked with: editing doctor biographies, drafting social media posts, reconciling Google Ad words and writing the weekly blog.
As you might expect, growing up with a dentist as a parent certainly has pros and cons; I thought it would be fun to draw from my own experiences for this post!
- My brother and I always had the best tooth brushes
- We had guaranteed professional help when pulling out our loose teeth
- Mom always knew what to do when you had a tooth ache or a loose tooth
- She helped me a lot with my braces whenever they hurt or broke
- She has the best patient stories (no names of course) – everything from those afraid to those that love the dentist, sometimes even a bit too much.
- My grandparents have the best care
- We could not tell little white lies about brushing our teeth at least twice a day!
- Flossing at least once a day, every day, is a must
- It’s SO hard to sneak sugar by her
- We’re only allowed soda on special occasions and never very much of it
- Halloween was the only time for candy
- Sugar-free gum ONLY. Sugar-free is nothing like the real stuff!
- Mini dental appointments whenever she felt like it
Today I got to see what my mother does every day at Dawson Dental. I got to meet a lot of my mother’s co-workers and learn more about communications and marketing. I even got to write my first ever blog about my experience with bring your kid to work day at Dawson Dental! Before writing this, I had never really thought about the pros and cons of having a parent as a dentist. Even with all the cons, I love my mother very much! I’m just not crazy about her job…
Dr. Meyer is welcoming new patients and is happy to offer 50% off all new patient exams including all necessary x-rays until December 31st 2014.
Dawson Dental Centres are knowledgeable, caring Toronto dentists in 17 locations across Ontario including Aurora, Barrie, Guelph, Newmarket and more. We offer General & Cosmetic Dentistry services such as dental implants, Invisalign invisible braces and dental veneers.