What Does Invisalign Treat?
Invisalign doesn’t only treat crooked teeth. It can also help teeth move from side to side and up and down, allowing for nearly the same versatility as metal braces. If you have any of the following, Invisalign could be the best solution for you:
- Gaps between teeth, which often contribute to weakened gums or jaw bone
- Overbites, where the upper set of teeth rest significantly over the lower set of teeth
- Underbites, where the lower set of teeth are closed in front of the upper set of teeth
- Open bites, where some teeth don’t touch each other when your mouth is closed
- Crossbites, where some upper teeth meet the insides of the lower teeth
- Crowding, where some teeth overlap each other
Are you a candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is a great choice if you:
- Want the benefit of braces without the hardware. Metal brackets can not only be an eyesore, but they can also be painful for your cheeks, lips, and gums. Because Invisalign does not have rough edges and uses clear plastic, they are much less invasive (and hardly visible!)
- Have a solid at-home oral hygiene routine. Because you don’t need to avoid sticky or crunchy foods like you would with braces, Invisalign retainers do need to be cleaned often. Your dentist will send you home with a cleaning kit to help you keep your retainers free from bacterial buildup, but you’ll also need to stay committed to cleaning your Invisalign retainers throughout the day.
- Have the time. Although every Invisalign treatment is custom-made for individual patients, there are some basic parameters that the treatments have in common. Patients have to wear their Invisalign clear aligners for at least 20 hours per day, with 22 hours being even more preferable. Every few weeks, you’ll receive a new set of aligners. It’s important that you wear your aligners in the proper sequence for the prescribed period of time to see the best results.
Your Invisalign Journey
Step 1 – Initial Consultation
We will perform an oral exam, take x-rays, and use the iTero digital scanner to get 3D impressions of your mouth. Based on these, we will be able to assess your smile and determine if Invisalign is the best course of treatment for you.
Step 2 – Get Your Custom Treatment Plan
Based on your initial appointment, we will map out a treatment plan unique to your smile goals and needs, including the exact movements of your teeth and the expected length of treatment. We will also walk you through cost and payment plans. Our treatment coordinators are very thorough and will be happy to answer any questions you might have!
Step 3 – Your Treatment Begins!
A series of custom aligners will be created just for you. For best results, wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours each day, removing them only to brush, floss, eat, and drink (except for water). Make sure to clean your aligners regularly using a soft brush, toothpaste, and warm water. As your treatment progresses, your aligners will gradually begin to shift your teeth into place.
Step 4 – Switch Your Aligners Every Two Weeks
You will switch to the next set of aligners in your series every 2 weeks or so. You will also have brief checkups with your dentist every 6 weeks to track your progress.
iTero for Invisalign
The process is easy and will take place during step 1 of your Invisalign treatment. Your dentist will begin by using the iTero scanner to take a complete 3D scan of your entire mouth.
Next, your dentist will project this image for you to see on a computer screen to show you how your current smile looks from all angles.
They will then use iTero technology to show you a complete 3D simulation of what your smile will look like once your Invisalign treatment is complete.
Once your scans are finished, your dentist sends them electronically to a 3rd party so that they can begin to create aligners just for you.
Benefits of iTero for Invisalign Treatment
There are a number of benefits of using the scanner during the treatment planning process.
- This process is more comfortable than putty-based impressions.
- It will yield faster results.
- Your dentist can adjust your treatment plan in real-time.
- Your data can be stored digitally and easily shared with Invisalign.
- You can see how your smile looks before and after treatment.
- You can track your treatment progress along the way.
- Your treatment is more efficient and convenient for you.
Book Your Free Consultation
We invite you to book a complimentary consultation so we can better understand your dental concerns, discuss the available treatment options and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to meeting you!